16-year-old pleads guilty to fatal shooting of convenience store owner Ogden
Antonio Garcia, 16, pleaded guilty last week to the February shooting of an Ogden convenience store owner.
According to the probable cause statement, Garcia arrived at Super Grocery, 675 N. Monroe Blvd, at 11:51 p.m. on February 28. After selecting a few items, he pointed a gun at the clerk, Satnam, 65. Singh, and said, “It’s a heist.” Garcia then fired four times, hitting Singh twice and killing him.
On March 2, police were called to a residence following a report of “juvenile disturbances” and were informed that Garcia – 15 at the time – was the Super Grocery store homicide shooter. According to the probable cause statement, officers recovered the clothes Garcia was wearing at the convenience store and the gun.
When Garcia was questioned, he told police he “entered the store with the intention of stealing” and fired his gun when Singh left the counter. Garcia admitted to planning the robbery because he “didn’t have as much money as he wanted” and said he had smoked THC the day before but “quit so he could be sober for theft, “according to the probable cause statement.
Singh was beloved in the community of Ogden, and a memorial of candles and flowers was placed outside his store after his death, according to FOX13. His family has asked community members to remember him by helping those in need, according to a March statement.
Garcia was initially charged with two counts of the first degree felony of aggravated murder and aggravated theft. The aggravated murder charge has been changed to a first-degree felony count of discharging a weapon causing grievous bodily harm or death in exchange for his guilty plea, according to court documents.
Garcia will face a jail term and be provisionally housed in a secure care facility until age 21, when he will be considered for parole, the documents say.